Legend about the Hussey's - The Huseys lived in Battle Creek before a name for t...

Legend about the Hussey's - The Huseys lived in Battle Creek before a name for the place was chosen. He was a Quaker. Perhaps the name Battle Creek sounded too beligerent for a man of peace.

He favored strongly the Indian name, Waupakisco, urging that a nickname from that word could only be "Waupasiscans", while Battle Creek would form an easy change to "Battle Creekites." That was too much like Jubusites and Hittites for him. In a general vote, Mr. Hussey was defeated by 60 votes.<br>At one time Erastus Hussey was mayor of the city and for a long time he was a prosperous merchant. He was a strong "Anti Slavery" man, an abolitionist of the severe type, edited a peper called "The Liberty Press", always an up-to-date Michigan abolitionist paper. But he did more than edit the type of paper he did, - he kept a station on the "Underground Railroad" for the accommodation of runaway slaves; and his station was in the celar of his home shown above under the title, "Old Homestead", and which stood where the central or first building of BattleCCreek College stands. Mr. Hussey owned twelve acres for his historic home site, purchasing the plot in 1855. In 1874, he sold the tract to the Seventh-day Adventist Educational Society, and erected a beautiful home at the norh-west corner of Washington and Manchester streets, where the College Library now stands, and his home was moved a few lots west on Manchester St. It is estimated that the Husseys assisted more than 1000 slaves.

Media

Vertical Tabs