Andrews Memorial Hospital (Kingston 10, JM)

A 45-bed general acute hospital located in Kingston, Jamaica, owned and operated by the West Indies Union, with Medical, Surgical, Obstetrical, and Physiotherapy departments and a dental clinic, a medical laboratory, and an X-ray laboratory. The hospital’s staff consists of two physicians, seven graduate nurses, two other registered nurses, four practical nurses, nine enrolled nurses, and 60 other employees. In 1944 Sulgrave Manor, a property with a large dwelling house, on Hope Road in an attractive suburb of the city of Kingston, was purchased as the site for a hospital. The Loma Linda medical college contributed $12,500 to this new hospital. Toward the end of 1944 a physician, C. R. Anderson, arrived with a nurse, Ruth M. Munroe, her parents, C. R. Munroe and his wife, and R. E. Gibso...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.