Avondale Health Retreat (Cooranbong, New South Wales, AU)

A medical institution operated for a time at Cooranbong, New South Wales, one of the earliest opened by Seventh-day Adventists in the Australasian field. It was built under the direction of Ellen G. White, and opened for patients on Dec. 28, 1899. It was managed first by H. A. Hellier and his wife, of Victoria (with Dr. Silas Rand, of Newcastle, as the physician on call), and after about a year by a couple named Robie, from the United States. After the arrival from the U.S. of the Drs. D. H. and Lauretta Kress in November 1900, a training school for nurses was opened. After the opening of the Sydney Sanitarium at Wahroonga in 1903, the health retreat lost much of its former significance, and later became an overflow dormitory for young men from the nearby school (now Avondale College). In ...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.