Christchurch Sanitarium (Christchurch, NZ)

A medical institution, operated from 1900 to 1921 at Christchurch, New Zealand, by the New Zealand Conference through the Medical Missionary Benevolent Association formed in 1897. Forerunner of the sanitarium was the Health Home at Christchurch, opened by G. A. Brandstater, of Australia, a nurse, in 1898. After operating in a rented cottage of six rooms for a time, the Health Home moved to a house of 13 rooms at 71 Hereford Street. In 1899 Dr. F. E. Braucht arrived from Samoa to take charge. In mid-1900 a two-story building with 20 rooms and large grounds, situated on Harewood Road, Papanui, Christchurch, was purchased for a sanitarium for £1,800. After the addition of treatment rooms and the enlargement of guest accommodations, the Christchurch Sanitarium, accommodating 10 inpatients, wa...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Christchurch
New Zealand