Dar Es-Salaam Hospital (Baghdad, IQ)

(“The House of Peace” Hospital). A general hospital formerly owned and operated by the Middle East Division of the General Conference (from 1946 to 1959) at Baghdad, Iraq. Seventh-day Adventist medical work began in Baghdad in the early 1930s when Marie Huehner, of Germany, opened a maternity home. Dr. E. G. Essery and Stanley Johnson began remodeling the premises of what had been one of Baghdad’s busiest hotels into a temporary 25-bed hospital. Called to other work, these two were succeeded by Drs. Joseph Saaty and S. D. Karmy. Joined by two nurses, Joyce and Lucille Henderson, and Melville Seitz, they opened Dar es-Salaam (also transliterated Dar El Salaam) Hospital and received the first patients in November 1946. A School of Nursing was founded in October 1948, with the first stu...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
444/1 Rashid Street
Baghdad
Iraq