Debre Tabor Aventist Church School (ET)

A coeducational boarding school operated by the Northwest Ethiopia Field near Debre Tabor, 50 miles (80 kilometers) east of Lake Tana in northern Ethiopia. Known formerly as Begemder Mission School, it was the first school in Begemder province. This area is a Coptic Christian area, although there are some of other faiths. The school was established in 1932 with about 20 students. Sheik Zekarias (or Zacharias), a Muslim, claiming a revelation from God, had predicted that people would come from abroad and teach the gospel more clearly and openly ( see Ethiopia ). This school was considered a fulfillment of his prediction. Interrupted by the Italian war against Ethiopia, the school was reestablished, after five years, by G. Gudmundsen. Although originally a day school, it was soon made a boar...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Ethiopia