Hatzfeldhaven Rural Health Centre (PG)

A former colony that accommodated 300 Hansenide (leprosy) patients (TB patients were also treated). It was situated 75 miles (120 kilometers) northwest of Madang on the coast of Papua New Guinea. In 1949 negotiations were entered into with the government of Papua New Guinea to build a Hansenide colony to be staffed by mission personnel. An advance party, including the president of the Madang Mission, T. F. Judd, H. W. Nolan, medical secretary of the Coral Sea Union Mission, and A. S. Page-Dhu, superintendent elect, landed with equipment to lay out the site and begin building operations. K. C. Mitchell superintended the work. In 1974 this institution became the Hatzfeldhaven Rural Health Centre, with Hansenide, tuberculosis, and general hospital patients. It was also responsible for general...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Papua New Guinea