Heri Adventist Hospital (TZ)

A 70-bed general hospital, which also conducted some leper work until 1976. It is situated near Lake Tanganyika in western Tanzania, a few miles from the Burundi border and about 45 miles (70 kilometers) from Kigoma. It is operated by the Tanzania Union and serves the Ha tribe primarily, but draws patients from other tribes as well. W. Sparrow began construction in 1947. Before the buildings were completed, a clinic was opened in June 1949, with Dr. W. H. Taylor, F.R.C.S., in charge and Alice Jensen as nurse. Petro Morwa was the first ministerial worker in the area. In the same year work was begun for 20 lepers, the government supplying the necessary drugs. The number of lepers later increased to 500, most of them outpatients. The hospital opened officially in June 1953. The plant consists...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Tanzania