Mwami Adventist Hospital (ZM)

A 210-bed general hospital and a leprosarium, situated on a 3,035-acre (1,230-hectare) tract, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) from Chipata, Zambia. It is owned and operated by the Zambia Union. The present staff consists of four doctors, six clinical officers, two tutors, one matron, eight midwives, seven registered nurses, 24 enrolled nurses, four laboratory staff, two radiographers, one hospital administrator, one chaplain, one maintenance supervisor, six clerical staff, a treasurer, and two accountants. The land for Mwami Mission and the hospital was purchased on Oct. 2, 1925, and two years later Dr. E. G. Marcus arrived and began medical work. The first surgical operations were performed in the open air under a mosquito net. Later E. B. Jewell came to teach the two-year, and later yet, ...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Zambia