Plumstead Orphanage (Cape Town, ZA)

An institution operated from 1895 to 1904 by the Medical Missionary and Benevolent Association near Cape Town, South Africa. Fred Reed, a chemist from Kimberley, was the prime mover in establishing the orphanage, contributing liberally toward the cost of the building. The land was donated by the mother of Peter Wessels, from her Timour Hall estate. Intended at first to care for orphans of Seventh-day Adventist parents, it was soon accepting needy orphans from non- SDA coloured families. The number of orphans never exceeded 20, the average figure being 10, ranging in ages from 1 to 12. When Timour Hall was sold, the orphanage was moved to a new building erected in Plumstead. Lack of funds made it necessary to limit the number of children to 10 or less. In 1904 the orphanage was closed. The ...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Cape Town
South Africa