Raymond Memorial High School (Falakata, IN)

A coeducational boarding school on the senior high school level, operated by the Northern India Union of the Southern Asia Division at the town of Falakata, India, 30 miles (50 kilometers) east of Jalpaiguri, in the northern part of West Bengal (near the Bhutan border). In 1992 the enrollment was 510, and the faculty numbered 34. The beginnings of this school are traced to the close of the past century, when Seventh-day Adventists first began educational work at Calcutta and established an orphanage there ( see India ). About 1899 the orphanage school was moved to Karmatar, a settlement some 170 miles (270 kilometers) west of Calcutta, and was renamed the Orphanage Industrial School. It was conducted by D. A. Robinson and F. W. Brown, both of whom died of smallpox only a short time after t...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Falakata
India