Shenandoah Valley Academy (New Market, Virginia, US)

A coeducational boarding school on the senior high school level, established in 1908, and situated one mile (1.6 kilometers) west of New Market, Virginia, in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, between the Massanutten Mountains to the east and the Alleghenies to the west. The New Market area is the home of the first organized Seventh-day Adventist church in Virginia. The academy was first envisioned by Charles D. Zirkle, son of Mrs. John P. Zirkle, the first convert baptized when J. O. Corliss and E. B. Lane came to the Zirkle farm in 1876 to begin evangelistic work in Virginia. Charles D. Zirkle attended Battle Creek College, became one of the first colporteurs in the South, and for 20 years served the denomination as a conference publishing secretary, conference treasurer, church school ...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
New Market, VA
United States