Tennessee Christian Medical Center (Portland) (Portland, Tennessee, US)

A 50-bed rural hospital in Portland, Tennessee. Tennessee Christian Medical Center—Portland, formerly Highland Hospital, Highland Sanitarium and Hospital, and (originally) Fountain Head Sanitarium, was founded in 1907 by F. F. West, B. N. Mulford, and their wives, with other coworkers. In addition to the health institution, the founders established an educational institution, Highland Academy. After West and Mulford purchased the site on the Highland Rim near Fountain Head, the group, through great self-sacrifice and with the financial aid received from friends, completed their sanitarium building in 1912. Since hydrotherapy treatments were popular from the beginning, the sanitarium had no trouble keeping its 12 beds filled. When the first building was destroyed by fire in 1928, it was r...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Portland, TN
United States