Vatuvonu Vocational Training Centre (FJ)

A coeducational boarding school operated by the Fiji Mission, situated on land leased by the Fiji Mission in 1931, in Buca Bay, on Vanua Levu Island, to establish a boarding school and a district headquarters. Classrooms, dormitories, and teachers’ homes were erected in 1932, under the leadership of G. Branster, the district director, assisted by H. R. Steed. The school began operation in 1933, under L. V. Wilkinson, the first headmaster, and was at first listed in the Yearbook as Vanua Levu Intermediate School. An enrollment of 64 Fijian boys and girls followed a regular elementary school curriculum, with instruction mainly in the Fijian language. After completion of this curriculum, selected students would be given training as ministers and teachers. The students cultivated their own g...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Fiji