Washington, New Hampshire, Church (Washington, New Hampshire, US)

A white wooden structure often referred to as “the first Seventh-day Adventist church.” It is located in the township of Washington, about three miles (five kilometers) from the village of Washington Center. More precisely, it is the church in which originated the first group of Sabbatarian Adventists. In 1844, apparently, in this church of the Christian Brethren, a traveling Methodist minister and a number of the lay members, who were already Adventists (Millerites), began to keep the seventh day and thus became, in that limited sense, Seventh-day Adventists. From 1851 on they were visited by the Whites and others. In 1862 they became an organized Seventh-day Adventist church, but only later acquired possession, and eventually ownership, of the church building. The Washington, New Ham...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Washington, NH
United States