West Visayan Academy (Iloilo City, PH)

A coeducational boarding school on the senior high school level operated near Iloilo City, Philippines, by the West Visayan Mission. It holds the position as the cradle of Seventh-day Adventist education on the west side of the Philippine archipelago. The forerunners of the academy were the Jaro, Iloilo, church school (opened in 1916 with Juana Savedia as teacher) and the Sido church school, which merged together in 1926 and added the first year high school (eighth grade) to the curriculum. With the purchase of 108 acres (44 hectares) for a school site at Buenavista, Guimaras Island, by the West Visayan Mission, the school was transferred, and in 1930 the second year of high school was offered. In 1935, with almost 150 students and 10 teachers, the school became a four-year academy. During...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Iloilo City
Philippines