White Memorial Medical Center (Los Angeles, California, US)

An institution that began as a clinic that opened in a rented store building at 941 East First Street on Sept. 29, 1913. It has grown into a full-service hospital encompassing nine city blocks in East Los Angeles, one of the fastest-growing inner-city communities in the United States. The clinic was originally started as a teaching facility of the School of Medicine, College of Medical Evangelists, now known as Loma Linda University, located approximately 75 miles (120 kilometers) southeast of Los Angeles. On the afternoon of Apr. 21, 1918, the clinic’s name was changed to White Memorial Hospital, and was formally dedicated in memory of Ellen G. White. White Memorial Medical Center is a 377-bed hospital serving more than 100,000 people each year in a service area that includes 2 million ...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.