WS Adventist College (Apia, WS)

A coeducational day school situated at mission headquarters in Apia, Western Samoa. Established to meet the growing educational needs of Seventh-day Adventists in Samoa, Apia Central School was opened in 1951 with 40 pupils grades 1-4, in a room under the Apia church with Saunoa Afamasaga as head teacher. In 1952 the first overseas missionary teacher, C. R. Thompson, was appointed. He supervised 50 pupils in six grades, with two national assistants. Among other subjects, Bible and Samoan and English languages were taught. By the mid-1950s student enrollment reached 500 in nine grades, and a curriculum suitable to the needs of Samoan citizens was established and achievement standards were set. Nine new classrooms were added, and in 1961 the school enrollment reached a peak of 719. The schoo...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Apia
Samoa