Youngberg Adventist Hospital (SG)

A 42-bed medical institution situated in Singapore, operated by the Southeast Asia Union Mission. It was named in memory of Gustavus B. Youngberg, veteran missionary to North Borneo. On May 15, 1948, a 1.8-acre (.7-hectare) site, one city block north of the Southeast Asia Union Mission headquarters on Upper Serangoon Road, was purchased. A large residence on this property was remodeled, and the outpatient clinic moved to this location in May 1948. That same year, on Aug. 21, Wilma Leazer arrived as superintendent of nurses. The institution prospered and soon became too small for its patronage. On the arrival of additional medical help in the person of Dr. Galen H. Coffin, a 42’ x 150’ (13 m. x 46 m.) wing was erected. This two-story addition of reinforced concrete, which more than doub...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

Vertical Tabs

Address
Singapore