Mary Steward

(1858-1947). Chief compiler and editor of the first Index to the Writings of Ellen G. White. She was a daughter of a pioneer Seventh-day Adventist minister, T. M. Steward, and was educated at Battle Creek College. In 1880 she joined the staff of the Review and Herald as a proofreader; in 1892 she went to work for Dr. J. H. Kellogg; about the year 1900 she became one of Mrs. White’s office assistants, going with her to Tennessee, where she remained to teach at Graysville Academy and to work in the proofroom of the Southern Publishing Association. In 1906 she rejoined Ellen White’s staff and remained there until Mrs. White died. Afterward she worked as a copy editor at the Review and Herald until 1937.

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.