Church Buildings

Throughout their history Seventh-day Adventists have erected various types of church buildings. The first church in which a group of Adventists became Sabbathkeepers in 1844 was one erected in 1842 or 1843 by the Christian Brethren of Washington, New Hampshire. (A group of 15 organized the SDA church there in 1862, but it was many years before Seventh-day Adventists had full ownership of the building.) This church is a simple rectangular frame building 30’ x 40’ (9 m. x 12 m.), with clapboard exterior and a plain gable roof. There are two separate entrance doors at the front, leading into a small vestibule, from which two more doors open into the church auditorium, and a narrow stairway leads up to a small balcony. The interior walls are plastered, and there is a series of plain glass ...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

0