Institute of World Mission

An entity of the Seventh-day Adventist Church that came into existence by Annual Council action in 1956. Because the missionary situation was radically changing at the time, it was felt that missionaries needed better training to cope with the new and ever-changing challenges of cross-cultural missions. It was voted that all newly appointed missionaries, missionaries on furlough, and national workers returning to their home fields would receive an intensive missionary training of six weeks’ duration in such areas as missionary anthropology, the Adventist message in a changing world, health and hygiene, principles of Adventist mission work, and specific area studies. The Annual Council action of 1956 was first implemented in the summer of 1966, when Myrl O. Manley and Gottfried Oosterwal ...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

0