Pitcairn

A vessel (built as a schooner, refitted as a brigantine) used by Seventh-day Adventists for transporting missionaries across the Pacific Ocean from 1890 to 1900. This ship is probably the best known of Seventh-day Adventist missionary vessels. M. C. Wilcox, who was present at the Pitcairn’s dedication, described the schooner as follows: “The length of the ship is 100 feet [30 meters], breadth of beam 27 feet [eight meters], depth of hold 10 feet [three meters]; and it is of about 120 tons [110 metric tons] burden. It is made of the very best timber, and the workmanship is of the best character. The ship has two masts, foremast and mainmast, each 79 feet [25 meters] long. She is capable of spreading to the breeze 1,576 square yards [1,300 square meters] of canvass”( Review and Herald ...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

0