Sabbath School Department

In the General Conference, the department that fostered and guided the operation of Sabbath schools, offered training and counsel to officers and teachers, and produced lessons and teaching aids ( see Sabbath School Publications ) until it was merged into the Church Ministries Department in 1985. Organization of Sabbath schools began in California in 1877, with the formation of the first state Sabbath school association. The formation of this society was followed in the same year by the organization of the Michigan State Sabbath School Association. In March 1878 the General Sabbath School Association was organized at the third special session of the General Conference. The next October the new association’s first report listed 12 state organizations, eight of which reported a total of 17...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

0