Signs of the Times (Nampa, Idaho)

(1874– ; monthly; PPPA ; 1965 circulation, 265,000; file, lacking vol. 17, 1891, in Pacific Press). A journal subtitled “The World’s Prophetic Monthly; a Magazine of Christian Living, Presenting the Bible as the Word of God and Jesus Christ as Man’s Redeemer and Coming King.” The Signs of the Times ( The was later dropped from the title) was founded as a weekly in 1874 at Oakland, California, by James White, who had twice been president of the General Conference (1865–1867 and 1869–1871). In 1873, during a vacation in the Rockies, White had conceived the idea of issuing a publication on the Pacific Coast similar to the Review and Herald, published at Battle Creek, Michigan, although there were fewer than 500 Seventh-day Adventists in California at that time. Encouraged by his...

From the Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia. Published with permission from the Review and Herald Publishing Association.

0