The days spent in Battle Creek in September, 1867, were difficult, crucial, but successful. However, the large building for the health institution was given up for the present. James White was put on the board of directors, which helped to establish confidence.
Four years later he was happy to report that:
We have worked in accordance with our faith, and with the blessing of God, and the cooperation of faithful friends at the institute, and also abroad, it has been gradually rising, and is now enjoying a full tide of prosperity (RH, Sept. 12, 1871).
It was finally on a sound financial basis, under good management, and with four physicians on the staff. Now a health convention was planned to acquaint the city and surrounding community with the institution.